Fundraising

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Kigali

Rwanda is a beautiful country with an overwhelming sense of greenness.  However, thus far I have spent my time in the capital city, Kigali.  Kigali is a city of nearly 900,000 people, which is hard to believe as it seems more like a large village rather than a city of nearly one million.  It is a city spread out over a series of hills with lovely, lush tropical foliage growing from red soil.  Kigali is a clean city.  In fact it is a really clean city with obvious effort and planning going into the design and upkeep.  It is also a city with a quiet, mellow bustle.   A bustle that seems to say, “There is time enough.”  

Kigali is also a city whose traffic is dominated by motorcycle taxis. When I was offered this placement in Rwanda from CUSO-VSO I had to decide whether or not I was comfortable riding on a motorcycle as that is one of the main modes of transportation in Rwanda.  I assured the CUSO-VSO office that I was comfortable with this form of transportation, while in reality it was the only thing that I was not looking forward to.  However, I am happy to report that with less than 24 hours under my belt I had taken not just one, but two “moto” rides and am ready for more as it is straight out fun.  We will see if I continue to think this as I use them daily over rough roads to visit schools that are sometimes one to two hours away. 

3 comments:

  1. I'm happy to hear that the "moto" rides are going well! I hope that you're wearing your helmet! I contacted Maddie's teacher about connecting with you through this blog. I hope to hear from him soon, or he might contact you directly and if he does, his name is Mark. Maddie is excited to share her cool auntie with all her classmates. Stay safe and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the emotion, or image that your phrase about the bustle that includes "there is time enough" brings to mind. The pictures fit nicely with it. It is those types of images and emotions that will lend empathy and understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin,

    Jeana says that there is a person from Miharu in Kiligi for Japanese Peace Corps. His name is Atsushi Muankata and is brother to English teacher Misako Sato.

    FYI

    ReplyDelete